Friday 2 June 2017

On the pure indulgence of re-reading


I’ve had a strange reading year.

Last year’s influx of classics has dwindled to three (though one of them was War and Peace so, ya know); the YA reading has taken a nose-dive; and the non-fiction and memoirs have gone through the roof. I’ve also indulged in some glorious re-reading.

Since I began blogging in 2009 re-reading was something that I felt I wasn’t allowed to do. I had too many review copies, I had a reading schedule, I had goals and challenges I needed to meet. But this year it’s all changed.

Of the 47 books I’ve finished as of writing this, 7 of them have been re-reads: the last five Harry Potter books which I reveled in listening to on audiobook for the first time and then the first two books in Sarah J Maas’s A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy in time for the finale. And it was glorious.

The sheer joy of re-discovering and falling in love with books I either know I’ll always love or ones I had adored the first time around was so nice. Re-reading is the epitome of stress-free and pleasure reading.

I enjoyed it so very much that I’ve vowed to re-read whenever the urge strikes me. It takes me right back to being a kid and a young teenager who would finish a book I loved and start it all over again immediately. Some books I would read every month, every other, every year, completely guilt free and loving every second of it.

More of that, please.

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. I've been releasing more and more over the last couple of years. I love being able to revisit favourites but I especially love reading without having to think about writing a review when I'm finished. The sheer freedom of just reading for pleasure is wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!