Wednesday 5 October 2016

The Halloweeds, Veronica Cossanteli

Pages: 250
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: 6th October 2016
Edition: UK paperback, for review

Other Titles by this Author: The Extincts

Dan promised he’d look after his siblings, but he hadn’t banked on his parents dying on a jungle research trip. The children decamp to crumbling Daundelyon Hall. Horrible Aunt Grusilla reigns supreme, tending her mysterious graveyard garden.

But why are Aunt Grusilla and her servants each missing a finger? What are the hungry ‘cabbages’ in the greenhouse? As Dan struggles to solve the mystery he encounters one final question: what’s the price of everlasting life?

I loved Veronica Cossanteli’s debut a few years back so I was really happy when I was offered a copy of ‘The Halloweeds. It completely lived up to its predecessor.

Just like in ‘The Extincts’, ‘The Halloweeds’ is filled to the brim with gruesome humour and some really disgusting food. Seriously, some of them made me want to be sick a little… Add in the setting of Daundelyn Hall, the horrifying Aunt Grusilla and her creepy servant Pokis and you’ve got a recipe for spookiness and adventure. I don’t want to spoil anything, but reading this will definitely make you suspicious of gardeners…

My favourite thing about this book is definitely the relationship between Dan, his sister Martha and the baby Grub. I loved the way they stuck together and backed each other up in rather scary circumstances. Your siblings may be super annoying and a bit gross sometimes, but you’ll never leave them behind. Having a hoard of siblings myself, I loved it.

A fun, gruesome adventure that’s perfect for young Halloween lovers.

Thanks to Chicken House for the review copy.

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!