Thursday 22 September 2016

Twitter is exhausting me

I'm starting to find Twitter exhausting.

I follow hundreds of intelligent, switched-on, political, and passionate people, and sometimes that just gets a bit too much.

It can feel like a constant tug of war – ‘If you don’t speak up then you’re part of the problem!’ vs ‘Don’t speak, just listen – this hasn’t anything to do with you.’ I often feel like every time I log in I’ll have to war with myself and everyone else, even though I've only ever had to deal with trolls a handful of times.

I want to be informed. I think it’s important I'm part of these conversations. It’s important to me that I stay part of the book world. But every time I scroll through my feed something else has happened that everyone (rightfully) rallies against and it becomes exhausting.

I even feel nervous writing this because of the potential for offence and retaliation. That’s not right, that’s not a healthy way to approach my blog and the community I love.  

The easy option is to stay away from Twitter, but my job is about 30% tweeting so that’s not an option. Do I delete the app from my phone? Cull the wonderful people on my feed?

What do I do?


Sophie 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie, I don't think you're offending anyone at all but merely expressing what most of us twitter users feel daily. When I get to that point it usually is a good sign for me to switch off for a while. Just like you I joined in the Twitter community to talk about books, and very often a lot of other things come in the way. Luckily I tend to discuss them with bookbloggers so it remains a safe discussing environment. I must have dealt with 1 troll in 2 years...and by dealing I mean, just did not respond:). But when it is time to switch off, just do...we'll all be here when you get back. V xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both. I'm barely on there at all now because of all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twitter has become so toxic. I'd say keep using it but at a minimun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sophie - I totally understand where you are coming from, too. Whether Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram - when something you enjoy turns political, particularly with the current volatile political climate, those enjoyable things quickly turn not so enjoyable. I think it is important to keep open ears but practice self care- do what is important to you, do your job, but know that being silent or not on Twitter does not represent you or your understanding of a complex situation. I don't tend to discuss my views on social media because I don't think it is an appropriate venue for me- I don't think that silence should mean I don't care.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!