Wednesday 16 March 2016

Zom-B Goddess, Darren Shan

Pages: 256
Publisher: S&S
Release Date: 7th April 2016
Edition: UK hardback, review copy


Double-crossed again, B is confused, enraged and broken. But the battle isn’t over. The end is nigh, but there are plenty of horrors to come. And who will survive? The Zombies? The humans? Or worse…?

‘Zachary…’ Dr Oystein murmurs.

‘No,’ Owl Man replies. ‘There has been enough bloodshed. I know there must be more before this is through, but let’s not kill those we can afford to spare. You and I are monsters, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Let’s draw it here.’

Dr Oystein looks troubled, but he nods reluctantly.

Owl Man turns to the girl again. ‘Leave your walkie-talkie,’ he says. ‘Return to County Hall. Tell Mr Dowling that you found me with Becky Smith and Dr Oystein. Tell him it’s over. The outcome has been decided, since we have what Becky stole from him.’

SPOILERS ahead for the first 11 books in the series!

I can't believe the Zom-B series is over!  I feel like I've followed B through a hell of a lot and I’ll be sad to see her go.

When we re-join B for the last time, everything she thought she knew has been turned on its head again. Dr Oystein and Owl Man finally reveal what's really going on, and though there is a hefty dose of exposition and explanation, the tension never dips for a second. I was still on the edge of my seat, waiting for whatever would happen or what bomb would be dropped next.

I’m not going to spoil this epic finale in any way, but Zom-B Goddess eventually climaxes in the big battle we’ve long been expecting. It doesn’t disappoint. We get another huge twist, another big moment for B to shine and a suitably mind-blowing ending to a series that has made me gasp in shock at least once per book. I finished the Zom-B series with a big smile on my face and huge love for B and her story.

I've loved every book in the Zom-B series, and although I’m sad B’s journey is over, I’m really quite excited to dive into Darren Shan’s backlist.

Thanks to S&S and Angel Publicity for the review copy.

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!