Friday 19 February 2016

The Shadow Keeper, Abi Elphinstone

Pages: 305
Publisher: S&S
Release Date: 25th February 2016
Edition: UK signed proof, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: The Dreamsnatcher

Moll Pecksniff and her friends are living as outlaws in a secret cave by the sea, desperate to stay hidden from the Shadowmasks. But further along the coast lies the Amulet of Truth, the only thing powerful enough to force the Shadowmasks back and contain their dark magic. So, together with Gryff, the wildcat that’s always at her side, and her best friends Alfie and Sid, Moll must sneak past smugglers, outwit mer creatures and crack secret codes to save the Old Magic. With more at stake than ever before and the dark magic rising fast, can Moll and her friends stop the Shadowmasks before it’s too late?

The Dreamsnatcher was one of my very favourite reads last year and I fell even more head over heels with The Shadow Keeper.

Abi Elphinstone’s writing is even more wonderfully vibrant than I remembered. It’s so physical and lively that I felt like I was with Moll, Gryff, Siddy and Alfie every step of the way. I was so caught up in the adventure that I barely managed to write any review notes (which I usually do unfailingly) – there was too much to experience for me to pull away for even a minute. This is the kind of writing and story that will made kids realise just how magical reading and stories can be.

Moll is stubborn and brave and full of heart. She goes on quite a journey through The Shadow Keeper and I was constantly going between cheering her on and wanting to give her a big, squishy cuddle. Moll’s journey takes her from kelpies to spirits, smuggler gangs to a tempestuous lighthouse called Dorothy – there isn’t a still moment in this book and I read it in two big gulps.

The Shadow Keeper is another gorgeous adventure story filled with magic, friendship, love and loyalty.

Thanks to Abi and S&S for the review copy.

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!