Thursday 18 February 2016

Adult TBR: Part Two


Here’s the second installment of my ginormous Adult TBR pile! Take a look at Part One before you dive into Part Two!


The Gap of Time, Jeanette Winterson
Jeanette Winterson does Shakespeare? Yes please. Though I’ve only read a few of Winterson’s novels, I've been blown away by her style, content and wit every time and I can’t wait to see how she manages to modernise A Winter’s Tale for the Hogarth Shakespeare series.

The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton
This book is absolutely huge. This 850-page historical beast isn’t something I'd usually go for, the scores of rave reviews and winning the Man Booker Prize in 2013 has me convinced I should give it a go. I downloaded the audiobook as well as the e-book to hopefully encourage me to give it a go without being too daunted.

Uprooted, Naomi Novik
I have to admit that it was the beautiful cover for the UK hardcover that piqued my interest. Then all of my friends fell head over heels in love with it, I read the synopsis and was completely sold. This is one of the book that I'm hoping to read this in 2016 considering I bought the hardback and the paperback has now been released…

The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood
I am finally going to read a Margaret Atwood novel in 2016. It has been decreed and I will do it. I've actually read the first half of the novel after taking it out of my university library and then getting side-tracked my set reading and never finished it. I did really enjoy what I read, however, so I know that once I pick this up again ill fly through it.

The Bronze Horseman, Paulina Simmons
I actually can't remember what made me pick this up. It's an epic wartime romance set in Russia and it's meant to be indulgent and melodramatic and it sounds right up my street. But it’s another chunker that comes in at around 630 pages and is only the first book in a trilogy…


Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, Brandon Sanderson
I really loved the first two books in this trilogy when I read them last year so I’m eager to see how it all ends, though book two lagged in the middle a little for me so maybe that’s why I haven’t finished it off yet.

The Little Friend, Donna Tartt
I fell head over heels in love with The Secret History last year and promptly bought Tartt’s other two novels. I've heard that this is the weakest of the three so it’s not as high a priority as The Goldfinch, but I’ll get to it! Hopefully this year.

Midnight Crossroad, Charlaine Harris
I read a few sample chapters of this when it first came out a few years ago and I really, really enjoyed it. I waited until it came out in paperback and picked up a copy and just like the whole Sookie Stackhouse series that I won from Gollancz, it’s still on my shelf!

Weight, Jeanette Winterson
It’s ridiculous that I haven’t read this yet – it’s only around 180 pages so I could probably read it in about two hours! It's also a retelling of the myth of Atlas who carried the world on his shoulders and Jean from Bookish Thoughts completely loved it.

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
I want to read The Goldfinch so very, very badly, but I'm a bit scared. I loved The Secret History so thoroughly and so completely that I'm a big nervous that I won't love this (which people say is equally as good as TSH) as much.

Have you guys read any of these? Which should I pick up first?

Sophie 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love The Bronze Horseman!! I also really fancy Uprooted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Luminaries is on mine, too, it's just...so...long. I LOVED Uprooted, highly recommend you bump that up the list!

    Chronically Caitlin

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!