Friday 19 June 2015

Darcy Burdock: Oh, Obviously, Laura Dockrill

Pages: 372
Publisher: Corgi
Release Date: 4th June 2015
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: Darcy Burdock, Hi So Much, Sorry About Me

My name is Darcy.
I see the extraordinary in the everyday and the wonder in the wold around me. This is my fourth book and I’m facing some of life’s biggest most important questions.

Will my horrid strict witchy granny make my life a misery for ever?

Will Pork the cat’s real owner turn up and take him away?

Will I survive wearing the world’s most TERRIBLE pyjamas to the school sleepover?

I was so happy when Darcy’s fourth adventure popped through my letterbox that I read it that very afternoon. And I loved Oh, Obviously.

Darcy’s drama of the moment is the impending school sleepover turned talent contest for charity. And the worst thing? She has no suitable pyjamas! Hers are all covered in crazy patterns and slogans and they’re just so loud. Darcy has a bit of a crisis about how bright and clashing her wardrobe comes across to others: to her there’s nothing better than clashing her favourite colours and the best patterns and wearing her personality on her body, but she’s beginning to have her doubts. There must be so many girls her age that get their personality knocked out of them by fears like this – I’m so glad that Darcy is surrounded by people who love her and are just as mad.

I love how Laura Dockrill manages to instil important messages about being yourself and inner strength and dealing with death and grief with such aplomb. It’s subtle and worked into Darcy’s own realisations effortlessly. Everyone could learn a lesson or two from Darcy Burdock. Even though she has a few moments when the Angrosaurus rears its head, she channels her feelings and the events in her daily life into wonderful stories are weaved into the narrative. I wish I thought like her!

I could read about Darcy and her stories for ever and never get bored. Bring on book five!

Thanks to RHCP for the review copy!

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!