Monday 18 August 2014

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, David Levithan and Rachel Cohn


Pages: 189
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Release Date: 3rd July 2014
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: Boy Meets Boy, The Realm of Possibility, Are We There Yet?, Wide Awake, Naomi & Eli’s No-Kiss List (with Rachel Cohn), Love is the Higher Law, Will Grayson, Will Grayson (with John Green), The Lover’s Dictionary, Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares (with Rachel Cohn), Invisibility (with Andrea Cremer), Every Day, How They Met and Other Stories, Two Boys Kissing

Nick & Norah are both suffering from broken hearts.

When Nick sees the girl who dumped him walk in with a new guy, he asks the strange girl next to him to be his girlfriend for the next five minutes.

Norah would do anything to avoid conversation with the not-friend girl who dumped Nick, and get over the Evil Ex whom Norah never quite broke up with. And os she agrees.

What follows is a sexy, funny, roller coaster of a story of a first date over one very long night in New York.

I’m a huge fan of David Levithan’s and I adore the movie adaptation of Nick & Norah so this should have been a sure-fire winner for me, but there was something a little lacking.

We’re thrown straight into a world of music and life with a slew of punk bands playing in a club. The music and the characters’ love of music bleeds through every page. Leviathan and Cohn capture the exhilaration is being in the rush of people jumping and screaming along to a band together. How alive it makes you feel, how free, how fierce. How music can open your eyes, allow you to close them contentedly at night, start something with someone. And that’s exactly what happens with Nick and Norah. I want a night like that so bad it hurts.

Even with the vibrancy of the music, the connection between Nick and Norah, how realistic of teenage angst it is, there was something a little lacking for me. The first half of the novel was very slow, and this is a short book. It was very much character and thought driven and there was some serious sexy spark, and yet I still had very little desire to pick it back up. As always, David Levithan’s writing was stunning and it blended with Rachel Cohn’s seamlessly.

Though I didn’t fall in love with Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist, I still have faith that David Levithan will blow me away for many books to come.

Thanks to Electric Monkey for the review copy.

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. I bought this the other day and started it but don't think I was in the right mood. Hopefully I will be again soon!
    I'm sorry it didn't blow you away, but glad to see it did have a good side!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!