Wednesday 19 February 2014

Ignite Me, Tahereh Mafi


Pages: 407
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: 4th February 2014
Edition: international edition paperback, purchased

Other Titles in this Series: Shatter Me, Unravel Me

The fate of Omega Point is unknown.

Everyone Juliette has ever cared about could be dead. Juliette may be the only one standing in The Reestablishment’s way. But to take them down, Juliette will need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together to defeat their mutual enemy, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew – about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam – was wrong.

I fell in love with Shatter Me and then fell even more in love with Unravel Me. Next came the countdown for Ignite Me. It couldn’t possibly live up to its predecessors, surely?

Once again, I was mesmerised by Tahereh Mafi’s writing. I love how it changes to fit the changes in Juliette, and yet still stayed perfectly her. The strikethroughs of the first book have gone and been replaced with vibrant, strong language among the poetic, emotion-fuelled prose. Mafi writes feelings, emotions and sensations so perfectly and vividly and in a way that I would never imagine myself, but describe exactly how it is. I’m just in constant awe of her writing; I could read it every day and never get bored of it.

Ignite Me turned my perceptions of lots of characters in this trilogy upside down. Mostly of Warner. I finally, properly and completely get it, you guys, but I’m glad I only just love him. Over the course of these three books Juliette has transformed from a scared, broken and scared little girl to a strong, powerful young woman with the world in her hands – she ended as a superhero. It just made me so happy to embrace her abilities and finally stand up for herself. But Warner’s change was shocking; mostly because he didn’t change at all. It was the eyes I saw him through that changed. It’s a classic case of snap judgements, misconceptions and misunderstandings that when revealed change everything. I just couldn’t get over how different he was once the truth about his and his actions was revealed. I fell properly in love.

There was a tension between them that strung the pages of the novel together; I kept on turning and turning and turning, irregardless of the time, the situation and the world around me. It’s an addictive, furious kind of tension that I love when reading. Kenji is the light relief. Seeing his facade crack and him hurt and ache broke my heart completely. He’s a wonderful character. Probably my favourite bit about him is that he doesn’t bend to Juliette; he supports his friends failing, but won’t hesitate to call them out when they’re being idiots (coughAdamcough). He put some really interesting dimensions into the story.

It’s rare to find a trilogy that’s so consistently breath-taking but Tahereh Mafi has done it. Ignite Me is the perfect ending and I wouldn’t have changed a single word it. Utterly gorgeous.

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. Great review :-) I completely agree with you Tahereh Mafi's writing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!