Monday 3 February 2014

Anything to Have You - Paige Harbison


Pages: 368
Publisher: Mira INK
Release Date: 28th January 2014
Edition: e-proof, review copy

Other Titles by This Author: Here Lies Bridget, New Girl

Nothing should come between best friends, not even boys. Especially not boys.

Natalie and Brooke have had each other’s backs forever. Natalie is the quiet one, college bound and happy to stay home and watch old movies. Brooke is the movie – the life of every party, the girl everyone wants to be.

Then it happens – one crazy night that Natalie can’t remember and Brooke’s boyfriend, Aiden, can’t forget. Suddenly there’s a question mark in Natalie and Brooke’s relationship that tests everything they thought they knew about each other and has both girls discovering what true friendship really means.

I have a strange relationship with Paige Harbison’s books and I can never decide how I feel about them. Anything to Have You is no exception.

As ever with Harbison’s novels, most of the characters in this book are awful. Selfish, arrogant, self-obsessed. With the exception of Natalie and Aiden, I felt nothing for any of them, and I really didn’t feel all that much for Natalie and Aiden to be honest. Brooke, especially, just made me angry. She made me feel bad; like I’m doing being a girl wrong. She’s the epitome of girl-world and everything I dislike about it.  Was kinda glad when she messed up and got her comeuppance.

The situation was an interestingly clichéd one: quietly beautiful girl in love with her best friend’s boyfriend who possibly has feelings for her too. I have to admit that I saw where the story was going and when the big bombshell arrived at the end, I had already guessed it. I was actually a little annoyed with the reveal!

And yet saying all of that, I enjoyed Anything to Have You far more than I did Here Lies Bridget and New Girl. There was something that kept me reading and wanting to read more, even if I don’t know what it is. I was pleased by the HEA ending as well – I am a fan of those.

So there you have it: my very mixed feelings for Anything to Have You. I imagine I will read Paige Harbison’s next offering and I imagine I’ll feel very similarly about it.

Thanks to NetGalley and MiraInk for the review copy.

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. I have this one to read but like you I have a strange relationship with her books. I'll still give it a go I think.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!