Monday 2 December 2013

The Art of Falling - Jenny Kaczorowski


Pages: -
Publisher: Bloomsbury Spark
Release Date: 19th December 2013
Edition: e-book, review copy

From Bloomsbury Spark, a sweet tale that’s perfect for anyone who’s ever fallen for the high school quarterback.

For seventeen-year-old Bria Hale, image is everything. She’s a militant vegan with purple hair, Doc Martens and a permanent scowl. Kissing the captain of the football team Ben Harris? Definitely not part of that image.

Now with each secret kiss, she’s falling deeper for the boy every girl at Oceanside High is crushing on. Throw in a few forbidden bacon cheeseburgers and she’s facing one major identity crisis.

Ignoring Ben should be easy, but when a flashy display of artistic spirit lands her in close quarters after hours with the boy she’s too cool to like, she can’t keep pretending those kisses meant nothing. With her reputation and heart on a collision course, Bria must either be true to herself or to the persona she’s spent all of high school creating.

My first of Bloomsbury Spark’s lunch titles and I already know this imprint is going to be full of books that are quick, fun and easy to read. The Art of Falling was the perfect antidote to a horrific train ride home.

I initially found the narration of The Art of Falling a little confusing. It read like I was hearing directly from Bria, but it was actually a third person narration. I actually forgot it wasn’t sometimes and at certain points I was jolted out of the story by the surprise of it. I don’t feel that it needed to b third person for any reason so I do believe it would have read a lot better in first; it would have taken my connection to Bria and her feelings for Ben and Rafael.

There was a lot of focus on art and music throughout the novel which I thoroughly enjoyed; I don’t think art gets enough attention in YA. Bria’s relationship to painting felt familiar and relatable as I’m a big art fan, even though I’ve never been as good as she is! Coupled with the music and her connection to the industry, it bulked Bria’s character out realistically – no one has just one interest! The only thing I wanted from Bria that I didn’t get was a more developed relationship with her dad. Being an only child and having lost her mum (something that seems to be in everything I read and watch lately...) I imagined that they would be closer, and while a closeness and mutual respect was hinted at, I didn’t see as much of it as I would have liked.

Jenny Kaczorowski’s debut is fun, engaging and sweet and I’ll definitely devour her future novels when I’m in need of an afternoon of escapism!

Thanks to Bloomsbury and NetGalley for the review copy.

Sophie    

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about Bloomsbury Spark so am glad to finally hear about one of their novels. This one does sound really good, so I might have to request it.

    I've always thought the opposite of art and find it featured quite a lot in novels. Maybe I pay closer attention to it because I'm not particularly good at art. I don't know!

    Great review, Sophie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a fun read. It went straight to be TBR list as soon as I saw the cover :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about first person. I wish it had been written that way!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!