Tuesday 29 October 2013

Bite Size Books (10) Goblin Fruit, The Fall of Hotel Dumort and As Delightful as a Carrot


Goblin Fruit – Laini Taylor

Pages: 54
Publisher: Hodder
Release Date: 31st October 2013
Edition: Lips Touch promotional sampler

Synopsis
In Goblin Fruit, a girl who’s always been in the shadows finds herself pursued by the unbelievably attractive new boy at school, who may not may not be the death of her...

Mini-review
Man, this woman can write! Her prose is seductive, vibrant and enchanting. Kizzy’s desire leaps off the page and smacks you in the face. Her straight up want to be wanted and to be one of those girls that are is something I recognised in myself and Laini Taylor got it spot on. That atmosphere, tied up in a re-telling of Christina Rossetti’s dark and alluring poem ‘Goblin Fruit’ which I fell in love with at A-level, was electric and even though I knew it wouldn’t end well, I couldn’t wait for Jack and Kizzy to finally, finally kiss. Gorgeous.

I need this collection, containing another short story, Spicy Little Curses, and a novella called Hatchling that I’m dying to read while waiting for Dreams of Gods and Monsters.   

The Fall of Hotel Dumort – Cassandra Clare and Maureen Johnson

Pages: 40
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: 15th October 2013
Edition: e-novella, purchased
Series: The Bane Chronicles #7

Synopsis
Fifty years after the Jazz Age rise of the Hotel Dumort, immortal warlock Magnus Bane knows the Manhattan landmark is on the decline. The once-beautiful Hotel Dumort has fallen into a decayed thing, a ruin, as dead as a place can be. But the vampires don't mind...

Mini-review
Fast forward a few years and Magnus finds himself arriving back in 1977 New York after a two year jaunt around the world. For the first time in, I think, ever, New York wasn’t described in such a way that I wanted to be there RIGHT THIS SECOND. It was stinking, sweaty and riddled with drugs and rabid vampires. It was like Magnus’ world had gone mad and it’s down to him to fix it.

I love how each instalment gives a glimpse into Magnus’s heart and mind and in The Fall of Hotel Dumort we really see the hold that Camille has on our favourite sparkly warlock. It’s fascinates me and really opens your eyes to his reaction to Alec in the TMI series.

As Delightful as a Carrot: How My Boys See the World – Keris Stainton

Pages: 50
Publisher: Amazon Media
Release Date: 23rd October 2013
Edition: e-book, purchased

Synopsis
Harry: “I knew this day would come!” Me: “What day?” Harry: “Today!”

“Kids say the funniest things.” We know this, right? And my kids do say a lot of funny things. They make me laugh, they make their father laugh, they make themselves laugh. And, thanks to my blog (and Facebook... and Twitter...) they seem to make other people laugh too. Loads of times, over the past few years, people have said I should put harry and Joe’s quotes into a book. They were probably just saying that, but I did it anyway...

Told Harry off for being cheeky and he said, “Don’t worry. Tomorrow I will be as delightful as a carrot!”

Mini-review
I’ve been reading and loving Keris’s tweets, Facebook statuses and blog posts about her boys and they things they say for years so I downloaded this as soon as I heard she’d published them in a collection.

Harry and Joe are hilarious. And so imaginative and intelligent! I found myself lying in bed, crying with laughter in the middle of night while reading this. Brilliant!

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!