Monday 16 September 2013

Keeping Her - Cora Carmack


Pages: 176
Publisher: Ebury
Release Date: 15th August 2013
Series: Losing It #1.5
Edition: e-book, purchased

What happens after the happy ending?

Garrick is over the moon that his girlfriend, Bliss, said yes. He’s finally found the love of his life. That means his worries are over, right?

But when he invites her to visit London and meet his family, he is presented with a whole new set of problems. How will his privileged and wealthy family react to Bliss’s unique brand of awkwardness?

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Losing It so I was eager to see more of Garrick and Bliss in Keeping Her.

It was so nice to be back with Bliss and Garrick and I loved seeing from both their points of view. For some reason, I was really impressed that the characterisation stayed so consistent that I loved them both through their own eyes as much I did from the other. They’re just such real characters; scared about their future, fiercely in love, nervous about meeting the parents and embarrassment-prone. Bliss’ awe and excitement about going to London was adorable as well. I kind of forget that it’s the UK’s version of going to New York!

Speaking of English-ness... I couldn’t buy into the idea that Garrick was English and that they were in London. It wasn’t something I noticed in Losing It, but Garrick is a really American name. You’d never get an upper class British man named Garrick; it just wouldn’t happen. The same type of man would never wear khaki pants to a party; he’d wear smart jeans or black trousers. We just don’t tend to have khaki pants, do we? And Bliss went to a pharmacy and bought a bottle of ibuprofen and we have chemist with packets of ibuprofen. The accumulation of all these facts got on my nerves a little. I felt as if Cora Carmack had never been to England or even done very much research about it.

Aside from some English niggles, I really enjoyed Keeping Her. Cora Carmack’s books are quick, fun and easy to read and I’m looking forward to reading more of her stuff.

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!