Thursday 1 August 2013

Fictional Scenes I Want to Live


One of my favourite things about reading is getting to live scenes and moments that I’ll only get to experience in my wildest dreams, or alternatively, moments I wish so damn hard that I’ll experience at some point. On reflection, some of them seem normal and many of you may have lived them, but others are just out of this world.

If you’re around my age (21) then Harry Potter will probably have been a large part of your childhood and teenage years. There are far too many moments from the series that I would love to experience to fir here, but there’s one that I think would stay with you forever: approaching Hogwarts on September 1st in those little boats for the first time. the movie made it seem just as magical as the book did and I clearly remember just gasping in awe and it came on the screen.


This next one is a little more obscure and quite embarrassing actually so I’m going to be vague. I you’ve read Sarra Manning’s Diary of a Crush: French Kiss then you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. If not, read the trilogy!! It takes place when the gang journey to Paris for their photography class. Edie spends a few hours messing about in the Louvre with her friends before going off on her own for a while. Then Dylan turns up and takes her breath away...

Some of you may have read my review and From Page to Screen feature for Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby a few months ago and know how much I fell in love with it. Gatsby’s extravagant, vivid and slightly out of control parties encapsulates the decadence of the 20s in America for me and I’d love to experience it. I find every aspect of the period fascinating and I regularly wish I could go back in time and be a flapper so it was inevitable that I’d fall in love with Gatsby’s parties. I mean, come on, who wouldn’t want to go to at least one in their life??


There’s a reason why Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares was such a hit with the book bloggers when it was released last year. The idea of walking into The Strand and finding a Moleskine with a note in it wedged next to your favourite book is a dream. Writing letters is a bit of a lost art so learning about someone via words, especially when that someone is a cute and snarky guy, is pretty much perfection.

What fictional moments do you wish you could live? Agree with any of mine?

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Definitely yes to Harry Potter and Dash and Lily! I think, as much as it terrifies me, I'd like to experience Morganville for real, and Cat Royal's London in the 1780's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that scene in French Kiss is one of my favourites too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!