Thursday 22 August 2013

Books I've Been Meaning to Read For Ever


Every person who reads has those books dotted around their shelves that have been there for years. The ones you pre-ordered and were so excited to read, the chance buys that sounded right up your alley, the next book in a series you fell in love with. Now they’ve been there for years, unread but not unloved.

Here’s a glimpse at some of the books that I’ve just been meaning to read FOREVER...

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
This is a book with a die-hard fanbase who talk everyone they come in contact with into buying it. I fell into the trap too. I have a gorgeous hardback perched in the corner of my bookcase waiting for me to finally pick it up, experience the obligatory confusion and then fall in love with Marchetta’s writing and the infamous Jonah Griggs.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Another book that is raved over constantly and I succumbed to the pressure and bought myself a copy. I’ve even read the first few pages. I’ve been putting this off for ages because I know I’m going to fall in love and get my heart completely and utterly broken by this trilogy. One day, I’ll be ready.

One Day by David Nicholls
I know, I know. This was so popular for a time and I got a copy and meant to read it, I really did. I just had review books that were more of a priority so I put it off and put it off and now it’s god knows how long later... I also need to read it before I watch the film – gotta do it the right way around guys.

Neil Gaiman
I can literally feel the horror, rage and embarrassment radiating off of you for this one. I have, in fact, read Stardust but it was a long time ago and I didn’t really like it; it had nothing on the film for me. now I have an early copy of Fortunately, The Milk and I’m dying to get my hands on The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I’m hoping that these will spark my love for Neil Gaiman.

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
This one hasn’t been on my shelf for as long as some of the others, but I have wanted to read it for ages. I picked the paperback up in a charity shop and every week I tell myself I’m finally going to read it. That day is yet to come, but I WILL have read it by the end of the year. Promise.

So those are some of the books that have been sitting on my shelf for an embarrassingly long time. what are some of yours?

Sophie 

5 comments:

  1. Who doesn't have a few books that have been there forever? In fact, I think I've still got some books that you gave me last summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Jellicoe Road despite reading Melina Marchetta's Saving Francesca years ago and loving it! I really want to read The Knife of Never Letting Go too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also own Jellicoe Road but still haven't read it! I need to do that ASAP so I can feel all of the feels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I haven't read any of these either! And my to-read list is full of the ones I should have read as a teenager, or series that I havent started/caught up on. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sophie. You have such amazing books in your future! I've read all of these except How To Be A Woman. I hope you love them as much as I did :)

    (Start with Jellicoe Road or The Knife of Never Letting Go!)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!