Saturday 3 August 2013

Author Interview: Abigail Haas


If you follow me on Twitter you’ll have learned of my love for Dangerous Girls, published by S&S on July 18th, so I was really pleased to get the opportunity to ask Abby a few questions.

1. Dangerous Girls is very different to your novels written under Abby McDonald. What provoked such a dramatic change?
I love mixing things up and trying new styles. As soon as I had the idea for Dangerous Girls, I knew it would be very different to my romantic comedy novels, but that’s part of why I loved it. After writing such light, cute books, it was fun to go so dark and twisted!

2. I loved all of the transcripts and extras etc in Dangerous Girls. Were they difficult to weave into the narrative seamlessly?
I knew from the start Dangerous Girls was going to include non-traditional narrative elements like the transcripts and floor-plans, etc, so it was easy for me to add them in. I loved using them to highlight parts of the story in new ways, so we get to see what TV audiences would be watching in all her interviews, or see the evidence presented in court.

3. Will you be writing more novels in the style of Dangerous Girls in the future, go back to lighter contemporary YA or switch between the styles?
I’ll definitely be writing more cute contemporary novels in the future – I really love that style – but I’ll also be doing more like Dangerous Girls too. I have another thriller scheduled for next year that I’m really excited about – even more twisted and shocing than DG!

A few quick ones!

4. Favourite word?
Serendipitous.

5. Obsession of the moment?
Peach nail polish.

6. Current read?
I’m devouring Gillian Flynn: Gone Girl was insane, and I just finished Sharp Objects too. So good!

Thanks so much, Abby! Now you’ve read this, GO AND READ DANGEROUS GIRLS!

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to pick this up next week when I go into Waterstones because I spotted it the other day and just about managed to resist its charms but don't think I'll be able to again. You know what Waterstones Bath is like! So many great books!
    Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! You know how much I loved Dangerous Girls, it was insane!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!