Monday 29 April 2013

Bite Size Books (2): What Really Happened in Peru, The Secret of Ella and Micha and Crossing the Line


The Bane Chronicles 1: What Really Happened in Peru – Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan

Pages: 40
Publisher: Margaret K McElderry Books
Release Date: 16th April 2013
Series: The Bane Chronicles
Edition: e-novella, bought

Synopsis
From Goodreads: There are good reasons Peru is off-limits to Magnus Bane. Follow Magnus’ Peruvian escapades as he drags his fellow warlocks Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss into trouble, learns several instruments (which he plays shockingly), dances (which he does shockingly), and disgraces his host nation by doing something unspeakable to the Nazca Lines.

Mini-Review
I think that the whole idea of a series of short stories about Magnus Bane is brilliant. Add in Maureen Johnson and Sarah Rees Brennan and you have some serious win on your hands! It’s a very different tone to both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices and really mixes the tones of Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan. It’s a great combo!

Through a series of Magnus’ escapades with Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss in Peru, we get to see another side of Magnus. We see him fall in love, get his heart broken, get so drunk he wants to become a cacti and torment poor Ragnor until he wants to go home. I loved that there was a lot more to him that we’ve seen so far in TMI and TID.

I’m really looking forward to the next instalment!

The Secret of Ella and Micha – Jessica Sorensen

Pages: 309
Publisher: Sphere
Release Date: 11th April 2013
Series: The Secret
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

Synopsis
Ella and Micha have been best friends since childhood until a disastrous night that sent Ella fleeing to college. Back for the summer, Ella tries to keep her past buried, but struggles under the gaze of Micha who is trying to get his best friend back.

Mini-review
I can officially give Jessica Sorensen the accolade of writing a new adult novel that I actually enjoyed! The sultry, tense atmosphere is supported by interesting characters with mysterious and dodgy pasts and an involving relationship. Neither Ella or Micha were what I expected, but I loved their chemistry and I was championing them from the start.

My usual complaint with new adult novels seems to be poor writing and the tendency for the boks to have an abundance of frequent, graphic sex. While The Secret of Ella and Micha had sex and sexy scenes in it, I thought they were done fairly tastefully and the prose was easy, flowing and quick to read. This is definitely more in the vain of a sexier Simone Elkeles or Jennifer Echols than Abbi Glines. Thankfully for me!

I’m rather looking forward to The Forever of Ella and Micha actually!


Crossing the Line – Katie McGarry

Pages: 67
Publisher: MiraInk
Release Date: 1st April 2013
Series: Pushing the Limits
Edition: e-novella, bought

Synopsis
From Goodreads: Lila McCormick first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters – or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness – and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.

Mini-review
Pushing the Limits was one of my favourite books from last year so I couldn’t wait to get a sneak peek into Lila and Lincoln’s story. The letters between Lincoln and Lila at the beginning of the story and then the short excerpts at the beginning of each chapter were brilliant. I think they gave a nice depth to them both in such a short word count. Katie McGarry is extremely good at drawing damaged characters and rocky relationships and that really came through in Crossing the Line.

Even though my heart broke for Lincoln and Katie McGarry’s prose is addictive, easy to read and involving, but I really wasn’t a fan of how dependent Lila’s future and education was on Lincoln’s decision. Although everything with her was resolved and her strength returned, I thought that was a bit of a worrying seed to plant. Luckily, it didn't deter my enjoyment of Crossing the Line and I’m still incredibly excited to read Dare You To when it’s released in June.

Sophie

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Bane Chronicles! I found it so funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already heard you rave about The Secret of Ella and Micha, really gonna have to get this one, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've downloaded Crossing the Line onto my Kindle but I haven't yet gotten around to reading it yet. I loved both Katie McGarry books I've read and I'm sure I'll love this one as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Secret of Ella and Micha is a great book to read & I loved the characters in the story. I'm waiting very patiently for the next book to come out!

    regards,
    irene of Plumber Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written, and very interesting. Thank you for sharing the details. With the online counter, you can quickly add up whatever you can count. Add or subtract the numbers. Visit this article tally counter online to learn more.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!