Wednesday 20 February 2013

Speechless - Hannah Harrington


Pages: 268
Publisher: Mira INK
Release Date: 1st February 2013
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: Saving June

Chelsea can’t keep a secret...until now.

Everyone’s shared gossip they shouldn’t have – but the last time Chelsea told a secret nearly got someone killed.

So Chelsea takes a vow of silence, if she keeps her mouth shut, at least things can’t get any worse, right?

Wrong.

Suddenly taking a stand’s making previously popular Chelsea a social outcast. But finding new ways to communicate is making her new friends in unexpected places, especially rebellious skateboarder Sam.

Sam’s the last person who should give Chelsea a second chance. It’s his best friend who her gossip hurt the most – yet he’s the only one who understands.

And the only one who can help Chelsea discover who she really is...and who she wants to be.

Like with Hannah Harrington’s debut, I started Speechless not too bothered but ending up really involved in the story with a fondness for the characters.

In the beginning of the novel I really, really didn't like Chelsea. She was the type of girl who ruled the school and made the lives of everyone not in her inner circle a misery. It was a little worrying that it took such a horrible event to shock her out of her behaviour and in to doing something to make up for it. Once Chelsea took her vow of silence however, I grew to like her very quickly.

The family that she formed with Sam and the rest of the gang at Rosie’s was my favourite element of Speechless. The sense of camaraderie and support was exactly what Chelsea needed to realise where she’d been going wrong and it opened her up to being a better person. It was the kind of environment that I think would have made secondary school a much happier place for me. I‘d especially have liked a Sam – he’s adorable!

Speechless stuck with me unexpectedly and I love the breadth of topics Hannah Harrington subtly covers in her novels. I’m looking forward to her next offering.


Thank you to MiraINK for sending me a review copy.

Sophie 

4 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this, pity I've got so many uni books to read first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one - it sounds like such an interesting idea. Fab review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this waiting to be read on my Kindle but I'm definitely going to come to it quicker now. Your review has really done it justice! I like it when you can see the change in characters so I'm sure I'll like this. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am glad to see that you liked this book as well! I absolutely LOVED it! Hannah Harrington is by far one of my favourite authors - ever.

    Lovely review sophie :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!