Friday 4 March 2011

Body Swap - Jerome Parisse

Body Swap – Jerome Parisse

Pages: 167
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: 7th October 2010

Other Titles by this Author: The Wings of Leo Spencer

From Goodreads: William and Pat receive a mysterious text message pleading for help from a girl in a deep coma. They try to help, but a disastrous mix up occurs, and William ends up trapped in her body, leading him to difficult and sometimes comedic situations. The situation becomes even more desperate when Pat falls in love with Stephanie. The boys confront awesome challenges and meet with an unexpected enemy.

As I really enjoyed The Wings of Leo Spencer, I was quite looking forward to this. But I was a little disappointed.

My main problem with Body Swap was that I didn’t find that William and Pat spoke naturally. It often seemed a little stilted and unrealistic; almost forced sometimes. There was no slang and very little abbreviations as well as their topic of conversation being very unusual for thirteen year old boys. I wasn’t entirely convinced.

I also thought that their immediate response to Stephanie’s text was unrealistic. I think that it would take a little longer for an average person to be convinced by receiving texts from the other side. There was so little hesitation in their decision to help her.

The thing I did love about Body Swap was William’s reaction to being in a girl’s body. His confusion over putting a bra on, immediate discomfort in dresses and the horror at heels were brilliantly funny. It was excellent seeing a boy struggle in a girl’s world.

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. As you might have guessed (!), I love body swap books and I'm definitely intrigued by this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!