Thursday 9 September 2010

The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight - Jenny Valentine

The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight - Jenny Valentine

Pages: 285
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: 5th August 2010

Other Titles by this Author: Finding Violet Park, Broken Soup, The Ant Colony

From Amazon: Two boys. One identity. He can change his life if he says yes…

An explosive new mystery from the award-winning author Jenny Valentine, The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight is the story of a boy who assumes the identity of a missing teenager and in-so-doing unearths a series of shattering family secrets – and the truth about who he really is.

With all the classic hallmarks of a Jenny novel – a fantastically strong, sensitive and memorable first person narration; themes of loss and betrayal, family secrets and personal identity; truly quality writing that is 'literary' but never inaccessible or pretentious, this is the thrilling new novel from the author of Finding Violet Park.

Jenny Valentine is one of the UK’s most literary YA authors, in my opinion, and her realistic and gritty novels always hit the spot.

Like Jenny’s earlier novels, The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight deals with troubled kids from broken homes and the physical and emotional fallout from them. And like The Ant Colony, it features a teenage runaway. But Chap had no family to return to and this left him with a desperate need to be part of a loving family who would miss him when he’s gone. It made me realise just how lucky I am and how I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a nobody. But even though Chap’s life is a million miles away from mine, I felt like I understood him.

Even when he took over Cassiel’s life. From then on there was a sense of impending doom hidden in the pages. I was almost as anxious as Chap was that Cassiel’s family would find him out and destroy his chances of having a family. Sucha adesperate act made me wonder what he ran from. And then came the questions about Cassiel. Where is he? Why did he run? What was he mixed up in before he left?

Only a master of mystery and suspense like Jenny Valentine could unveil countless clues and hints in a steady drip which lead up to a few explosive revelations that dramatically changed the course of the whole novel. I couldn’t even have imagined some of the secrets that were brought to light about Chap, Cassiel and the Roadnight’s. I was shocked. And so I was completely stunned when The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight ended happily.

This is a fantastic novel that would be perfect for mystery fans and as an introduction to Jenny Valentine.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

5 comments:

  1. How interesting. I haven't heard about this book. Have her books been published in the US too?
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review! I completely agree. Chap's life story was so bitter-sweet. I really felt for him. I loved that the plot of this was so unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE Jenny Valentine and I cannot wait to read this one, especially after your wonderful review! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison - Her first two have. Though Finding Violet Park is published as Me, the Missing and the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read this book. It is not available in the U.S. yet.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!