Tuesday 17 February 2009

Extras - Scott Westerfeld

Extras - Scott Westerfeld

Pages: 417
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 4th February 2008

Other Titles in the Series: Uglies, Pretties, Specials

These days, it's all about fame...

'Tech-heads' flaunt their latest gadgets, 'kickers' spread gossip and trends - and it's all monitored by millions of cameras. The world is like a giant reality TV show, where popularity rules and everyone else is just an extra.

As if it isn't hard enough being fifteen, with a face rank of 451,369, Aya Fuse is a total nobody. But when she meets a clique of girls who pull crazy, dangerous tricks in secret, Aya knows that if she can kick their story, her popularity rating will soar...

Aya is sure she's destined for a life in the spotlight, but is she really prepared for everything that comes with it - instant fame, celebrity...extreme danger?

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the previous three but it was good nonetheless. Extras is set in a different place to the previous ones, a different continent even with a world three years from where we left Tally and it's very different.

As with all of this series, I was amazed at the technology and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to live among it. I expect it might be quite fun though! I loved the way that the characters slang and words of the moment changed as they changed and according to the people that they met. I thought that this was clever and very true to real life. It's hard to not give away the plot because the bigger surprise this novel will be, the better.

I am now a dedicated Scott Westerfeld fan and I'm going to search out the rest of his novels. But for now, everyone who hasn't read them yet: DO IT!

Sophie

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you got through this series quick! They must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading all your reviews of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WNkoyed the review, was not the normal, book is this type.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha love this version for the cover! Is it the US edition?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!